Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Sunday 25 June 2017

Room for change, change room, presto chango

The change room - not so unlike Superman's phone booth. You go in, make a quick change, then emerge with superpowers, at least in the ideal scenario, including the uncanny ability to see bulges as muscle. Heh. 
Faster than a woman swiping the last chocolate croissant, more powerful than matte lipstick, able to leap scummy puddles in a single bound in skyhigh platforms. Look! Up ahead (photo below) -  It's a mutant orange! It's a giant cheese! No, it's Melanie! 
Below is my latest superpower dress, Le Traffic Cone (sister to my traffic cone coat), which I picked up during a blogger shopping spree at Talize Thrift in Delta, BC, with Suzanne (SuzanneCarillo.com), Sue (A Colourful Canvas), and Sherry (Petite Over 40), post on it here.

Photo by Sue, A Colourful Canvas. l to r: Sherry, my back, Suzanne

I spotted this piece in the size 20 dresses. It ticked all the right boxes.
  • Audaciously big? Check. 
  • Pockets? Check. 
  • Nuclear orange? Check. 

I wore it for the first time yesterday, which happened to coincide with the downtown kickoff of Vancouver International Jazz Festival. Imagine my delight at being able to bring traffic cone safety to all the lovely people attending this musical street party. 

Sadly, weakling pixels can't possibly capture the neon-ness of this piece, nor the heavenly swish, but it's all I got. An exciting bit of news is that the Vancouver Art Gallery plaza, closed for renovations for ages, had finally opened for the festivities. Hurray!


Those red sandals are from Talize too and are now a wardrobe staple. They are by Liz Claiborne, not to be confused with the movie Dolores Claiborne, which has one of my favourite lines, "Sometimes being a b*tch is all a woman has to hold onto." Scene here. Brilliant. The blue sunnies came from a vintage shop downtown a year or two ago.

The next photo was also taken at Talize. I challenged myself to wear kyrptonite, I mean beige. I made friends with beige in a previous post, "Clothes the colour of porridge," but decided to test the endurance of our detente, and, yes, our peace treaty endures. Except I didn't like this outfit enough to buy it. Maybe if I had to jet suddenly to England to solve a murder at a village fete, I would wear this.

Photo by Sue, A Colourful Canvas

Below is another change room, this one at Nordstrom. This is like Superman visiting his idyllic home planet, Krypton, before it exploded.

I know, I know, I only go to Nordstrom SPACE for eye candy but during a mega-sale it doesn't hurt to have a taste test, right? Or does it? This top didn't exactly hurt, but it was super prickly and clingy and cloying, and the skirt's lace and tulle were prickly with an expensive falling-apart quality. 

For modesty, I photo-edited-out my underwear under the lace skirt, which also features huge gaps in the front and sides by design (the skirt, not my underwear).

Although this ensemble is sweet, it's too much treacle for me, even with its propensity for scandalous wardrobe malfunctions. This outfit makes me proud of my farked boob cooler t-shirt here - scandal without the prickles, price, and tangle. But I know this piece will look fabulous on somebody else, which was why I was drawn to it in the first place.


Below, now we're talkin'! Comme des Garçons or a variation thereof [Junya Watanabe], the top of course. It was an ordeal to put this on too: a leather harness contraption with origami-ed filmy fabric bits forming an ethereal cage. Did I love it? Yes, I did. It was $3,100 Cdn marked down to $1,100 Cdn., but I balked, like a chicken, balk balk-balk-baaaalk. Nunh.

And I tried on a Simone Rocha dress, just a sliver of it showing on the left; again, too prickly for my comfort level but a very sweet dress. 


I don't fully comprehend why I was drawn to these sweet prickly pieces that day, and a feminine blouse on the left above as well. Maybe it's because they are as out of form for my style as the whole trying-on-new-things experience.

What did I find out by visiting Krypton?: 1) designer pieces can be dreadfully complicated and prickly; 2) I still don't have a strong desire to possess these things. I like farking my own looks; plus, I have a penchant for electricity and food and shelter at the moment. But the deals were certainly there if I change my mind with a brain transplant.

And finally, to round out this post, a photo of me and Sue called Running With the Bulls from when Suzanne and Sherry came to town. Heh. Why isn't Sue more afraid? I had a brief meetup with Sue this week too. I got to see her latest dress (here) in person. Awesome!

Photo by SuzanneCarillo

That's all for now. You know what's next, don't you...?

I'll link up with Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style and Catherine's #iwillwearwhatilike at Not Dressed as Lamb.

Stay cool or bundled as the case may be. I'm heading out for a little jazz fest enlightenment in a fruital jumpsuit and then it's time for work work work. See you next time. Thanks for stopping by!!

mwah

PS - I must pass along a big thank you to Lisa of Amid Privilege for her reference to me and our brief meeting in Vancouver in her thoughtful post, "The Salubrious Effect Of Someone Else’s Friendly Eyes And Someone Else’s Stories," hereMuch appreciated.


36 comments:

  1. Wahooo so great. I really really love your posts Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue almost looks like she is being tickled in that last photo! Ha ha!

    Can we talk about that fitting room? I think it may be larger than my husband's apartment in Hong Kong.

    That stand up poky black top was something! I quite like that outfit on you but it might have to come with a security staff to ensure you don't poke someone's eye out.

    The other outfit was far too cotton candy but fun to try on.

    How did the jazz goers appreciate your traffic cone dress?

    What I'd really love to see is the original owner wearing that dress and then you next to them. That'd be so interesting.

    I'd forgotten all about that movie Dolores Claiborne. It was a very good movie.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my scary bull impression was a big fail. Hahaha. The fitting room, yes, deluxe all the way. The pokiness of the top looks fierce but the points would yield if they hit an eye. And the cone dress, hahaha, I had to vacate the area because it was stealing all the attention from the stage. It's so LOUD!!
      That movie had such talent in there. It will always be a favourite, even if only for that scene. xo

      Delete
  3. I agree with Suzanne about the fitting room - it looks larger than my bedroom! I really like the spikey Comme des Garcon top too, but think of all the secondhand stuff you could buy for $1,000. Your orange dress is really cool - I wasn't sure what it looked like when you described it and although it is too big for you, it still looks good on you (and you're wearing it with my favourite sunglasses). Love that quote from Delores Claiborne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't drop that kind of money on that top. I'd make my own. It might look wonky, but that would be okay too. The front of the dress has a wraparound part that ties at the waist and it would flap open once in a while. Heh. Orange cone flashes slip. I'm going to tack it shut. It's so big it won't affect pulling it off and on. Yeah, that scene is so perfect. Her delivery...wow! xo

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. oops it's a dress but if it can be worn open, wear it as a coat... hehe (blush!)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it could be a duster thing too because it opens all the way down the front. Thanks for visiting! xo

      Delete
  5. The Dolores clip! I think that was me last night at the free outdoor concert I attended. The Youths got unruly and I fought back. I even PUNCHED someone! Yes, I believe The Drunk Girl called me a Bitch. I didn't punch her -- I punched the dude who barreled into me, trying to start a mosh pit. I PUSHED her after she used my head as a tripod. I was an OLD MEAN BITCH! "You kids get off my dance dirt patch!"

    Love following your antics. I wish our miles/ kilometers were closer.
    xxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I would have liked to see that. Those brash upstarts! Yes, it would be excellent if we lived closer. Think of the fun we would have. xo

      Delete
  6. The traffic cone coat will stop traffic, in the BEST way. I do love the Miss Marple cape look, and you would so not resemble Miss Marple wearing it (maybe her chic grand-daughter). Love all these pics, they make my heart sing. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress is a magnificent swooshy festival, definitely. And I cheated a bit on the beige, the skirt tending toward brown. Details. Heh. I tried on a fully nude/beige gown. I am retching as I type. Only a partial detente. xo

      Delete
  7. I love the hanging/loose fit of the orange!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thoughts were, it's big and it's ORANGE!!!! Yay!!! xox

      Delete
  8. The Orange Cone Dress looks spectacular with those red shoes, Melanie! Did you ever discover the origins of your dress?

    As for prickly--just that word gives me all kinds of wiggly icks. I can feel the itchiness from here. As cool as they are, and as great as they look on you, I'm glad you are sticking with your own path rather than dealing with total discomfort that has "an expensive falling-apart quality." (Well said!)

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't find out more about the dress. It appears home-made with no labels at all. None on the white one either. What are the odds of finding two?

      Wiggly icks. Hahaha, I love that phrase. I was seduced by the utter femininity of these pieces, forgetting that that often involves a degree of pain. Ba-bye frilly. xox

      Delete
  9. That orange dress is AH-mazing, and I'm drooling over here for that Comme des Garcons top. I just can't even look at high-end stuff anymore - sticker shock! How did all that beige feel on you?? Did you just want to pull it off?

    Oh, and yes, we'll still be going to the Vancouver Fluevog store when we come over, but we might save our $$ for the cool "other" shoe store up the street. They really have some amazing shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This beige outfit was fine, I really liked it, but I did try on a lighter beige chiffon gown. Grossness beyond belief. It would look okay on someone else, but NOT ME!!! Partial detente.

      Relieved that you'll still be going to the Van store too. And yes, that other store has some definite winners in there. Now that I know you're amenable to change, wait till I show you the other other store. Hahaha! xo

      Delete
  10. I think the most I've ever spent on a single garment was $130 for my wedding gown. You guys have the best doggone fun! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a somewhat dry city in terms of finding others to fark around with, so we make the best of it when friends come to town. xox

      Delete
  11. Another dose of sunshine and zany delight from across the pond Melanie. Thanks for brightening my day x

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you been watching Drag Race? Sacha Velour is very fond of spiky clothing and I wonder if it as sublimated into your zeitgeist. If one can HAVE a Zeitgeist.
    Lurve the traffic cone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drag Race, I haven't been watching but it sounds like it would be a good show. My zeitgeist is in the kitchen cupboard next to the corn starch.
      Thanks for visiting!! oxo

      Delete
  13. Your post provided me with great pleasure again. It won't be long now until Nordstrom is going to send you stuff for free (well.. wear it in a blogpost). Mark my words.
    I like the black strappy top on you. Looked good with your trousers. Also love your shoes. Are they yours? Or also Nordstrom's?
    The beige outfit is indeed a Miss Marple outfit. And still it looks good on you. Whatever is that with you. You are a model, making everything you put on, looking good. I can tell you: if you put that orange cone thing on me, it won't be half as good.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't hold my breath about Nordstrom. But I wouldn't say no. Hahaha!!
      The shoes are my own, and the pants, which I bell-bottomed.
      Ah, but you didn't see the light beige gown on me, Greetje. You would change your tune about things looking good on me. Bleh!! Eeeeew!!! Wretched!! Hahaha.
      You beat me a jeans, Greetje, without question.
      xox

      Delete
  14. You are amazing in Le Traffic Cone plus oversized blue shades! The oversize size works brilliantly, it was there just for Melanie :) That change room is pretty spiffy! To match the price tags? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the change room matched the prices. They were bringing water to other women in an adjacent room. Deluxe all the way. It was an odd experience. But I enjoyed it. The sales associate was stellar.
      Thanks for visiting, Elizabeth. xox

      Delete
  15. That fitting room IS larger than my bedroom!!!
    That dress (the orange one obviously!)is amazing! You truly look stunning in it and make a suitable meeting point or hazard warning in it!
    I HATE itchy things, I couldn't cope with that top!! You and Sue are like naughty school girls!Xx

    P.s. I would totally love to come and fark around with you! I like eccentric people like me!! I can.imagine running around hysterically with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a super deluxe fitting room, no kidding. But no amount of luxury can make me ignore the itch factor. I recently saw a photo of that pinkish skirt and discovered I'm wearing it backwards! The sales associate even helped me put it on. Actually, backwards is much more modest than the right way around.

      I like to think I am doing a civic duty by wearing my orange traffic cone dress.

      It would be totally fun to fark around with you, Kezzie. We would have a blast.

      Delete
  16. OMG Tears streaming down my face. You kill me, Melanie! Fantastic post...as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. It was great meeting up with you!

      Delete
  17. Ok, write my name down on the officially posses off list. I've been following You via Bloglovin and I discovered that they don't seem to consistently carry your new posts and even worse!!!!! You don't get the same version as your original!!!! POOP!!! What's up with that!!?? So I'm going to have to change my tactics apparently in order to stay up to date and also to get your intended version. Just glad to know when you've been duped...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Jude - Gaaaa! That's so annoying!! I don't know what's going on with that and I fear I won't be able to fix it as I am very tech unsavvy about Blogger. And I don't know why they show up as Unknown. Why? Why? WHY?? Will following by email help? So sorry to hear about this. I'll poke around.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...