Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Would you give a blog award to THIS woman?

As style blogs go, would anyone in their right mind give a blogger appreciation award to THIS woman?


Well, the inimitable Curtise at The Secondhand Years has deemed me worthy of the 
BLOGGER APPRECIATION AWARD! 
(Homework assignment: Debate Curtise's soundness of mind.) 

Many hugs and kisses to you, Curtise! 
Thank you. I'll try not to to let you down... 

FYI: The above photo is unretouched, that's exactly what my hair looked like when I crawled out of bed - and, yes, my face IS that blurry in the morning. This look fits right in with Patti's (Not Dead Yet Style) retrospective of '80s looks.


It always amazes me that what I tap away on my keyboard makes it past my front door! 
To fulfill the obligations as a reigning Blogger Appreciation Awardee I must NOT do the following - pose nude in a magazine (darn it), give the finger to children, hork in public, hike my skirt to pull up my tights (commonly accepted blogger queen practice aka CABQP). A winner MUST, however:

1: Thank the person who nominated you by linking his/her blog; 
2: Answer the four questions below;
3: Award the Blogger Appreciation Award to fellow bloggers;
4: Let the Bloggers know that you have nominated them.

THE Q&A
  1. How long have you been blogging? Since January 31, 2012, just over three months.
  2. Why did you start blogging? Dressing in clothes that resonate with my feelings makes me feel invincible, my light shines twice as brightly, and it was always a let-down to come home after a spectacular inspiration walk with nobody to share my own style with. The blogger community is full of smart, funny, amazing women who provide that outlet and feed back into that positive cycle. 
  3. What type of blogs do you like to follow/read? Answer: Many kinds, but mostly blogs by strong, witty women who appreciate the good vibes that echo through their homes, their communities, and the the world at large through the simple act of wearing things they love and sharing their life stories. 
  4. What is the one thing you'd like to improve on as a blogger? Answer: My photos are mostly indoors; I'd like to get more outdoor photos. I'd like to integrate other stories into my posts...

NEW AWARDEES:

It has been a difficult decision, but in the way of the samurai (treat serious things lightly, light things seriously) I have decided to treat this serious thing lightly - I stress out thinking of my blog favourites.
  1. Ariane at Style Montreal Sud-Est
  2. Jean at dross into gold
  3. Rosemary at Forever on the Catwalk of Life
  4. Anne at The Frump Factor
  5. Shelley at Forest City Fashionista
Some of my awardees have probably already won this award? I wouldn't be surprised. If you have, let me know and I'll pass it to another  - so many to choose from!!
__________________________________________________

Now -What I Wore

I missed Patti's Visible Monday, which was very disappointing, so here's what I wore Sunday.


And another shot mannequin style below to show the fitted bodice, which I love.


Details of the outfit:
  • vintage cotton day dress, home-made, the colour of faded tea towels or curtains; it brings to mind the scent and sound of spray-starch or the shush of the hot iron over finger-flicked water.
  • refashioned blouse, puff inserts sewn into the sleeves, many, many darts sewn into the bodice in reverse-Sharpei style
  • bamboo fibre tights
  • thrifted Dorothy red shoes
Ms Bagg has invited me to the Sahara for the 2020 autumn/winter collection shoot so I shall be indisposed until the end of the month. (Seriously, I am burning my candles in the middle now...all good, though.) So, I am sorry I have not commented on your posts lately, and my posting has been irregular too. I'll be back by the end of the month with quick peeks to everyone in between. 

Until then, dress fabulously! Live fabulously! Shine with your high beams on! (okay, you can interpret that last one however you like...)

30 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for my nomination!!! I once won a tea set from Bozo the Clown when I was five years old, and that's the last time I won anything. I'm on a roll now! Seriously, I really do appreciate it!

    I'm happy to see you in blogland looking so very fresh! The dress reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, and the ever-so-slightly wrinkled-at-the-ankle stockings are somehow the perfect, subversive touch. Not sure why.

    Good to see you and congrats on YOUR wonderful award!!

    Love, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...my hair looks much like that in the mornings! I hate having it near my face when I sleep so I push it straight up.

    Congratulations on your well-deserved award! I very much enjoy your style and your musings (and drawings).

    Love the description of the fabric - I can smell the steely odour of the evaporating iron as it smooths swathes of the material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I can totally relate to the bed-head, and I'm pretty blurry in the morning, too. Love the Dorothy shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see you back and congrats on the award. Your choices for new awardees are stellar and very worthy and deserving of recognition. Your ensemble, as usual, puts a 'shining' smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally look like Dorothy in this outfit. Congrats on the award! I think you should wear your hair like that on purpose--- it has a very New Wave look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your award...since I live in Dorothy country, I immediately detected the Wizard of Oz vibe. Love the mannequin pose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the Award! I'll have to look up some of the nominees, but those I do know are great choices. You look adorable in your dress, which I think works so well with the colours behind you. The top photos remind me of my 12 year old daughter in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mel, THANK YOU so much for my nomination! And also congrats on your award. I am in such stellar company. I can't tell you how uplifting I found it to be nominated, considering I've had a "head-in-the-meatgrinder" type of month. I'll turn on those high beams you mentioned, and answer all your questions in my next post. Hugs, kisses, good bargains at your feet, more hours in the day, I wish you all these things and more!

    Much love from Rosemary in England,
    www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah! You're back - I didn't realise I wasn't supposed to yank my tights up in public once I'd been given that award...
    I love how you described your dress, starched prim cotton is just heavenly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you don't really paint in those pretty pretty shoes! I love the fabric in that dress, it's so soft and flouncy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are very deserving of the award, Melanie - my soundness of mind is often questionable, but on this ocasion, I am completely right!
    Your bed-head is amazing, people pay good money to get a quiff like that, and your hair does it for free overnight! Sometimes I wish I could blurry-up my face a bit, especially in the morning...
    On to the outfit. I see the Alice and Dorothy references, my first reaction was Little House on the Prairie!
    Hope you aren't too exhausted with all your busy-ness, it's good to see you!
    PS. I had a descending tights situation this week too, and did some furtive yanking up. Once you've won a blog award, I figure you're allowed to behave how you like, aren't you?! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mélanie!

    Congrats! Curtise is such a doll!

    But the questions are always the same, whe should changed them or you know what we should start an award of our own the over 45 and what not and with different, rebellious, crazy questions!

    When you have time maybe you could come up with a drawing


    I adore you in that blue dress and blouse- plus le beret!

    Thanks for the award sweetness!

    Ariane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to say that you looked like a cooler Alice in Wonderland but Jean beat me to it! Curtise passed the award on to me, too, and I'm afraid I've done all the things I'm not supposed to! Oh dear! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm forever pulling my tights up in public.I am determined to make it COOL,dammit!
    I must say,I find you rather appealing first thing in the morning!!! I'd happily share a mimosa with you!GRR!
    Hurrah for mannequin poses in pretty Alicey type frocks!
    XXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would totally give you an award. An award for Fabulosity! You rock like a rocking thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh your bed hair is scrumptious, perfect for an award!!! Congratulations, you are a wonderful blogger.
    The little cutie dress is heavenly.
    Hmmmm today I had on tights that were happy to head south and a petticoat that wanted to ride up north. Standing in a cold west wind it was a directional catastrophe.
    Love v

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melanie, you are definitely an award-deserving blogger, and thank you a whole bunch for selecting me as an "awardee", you lovely thing, you! Before I read the other comments, I would have said that your outfit was definitely channelling an adult, much funkier Alice in Wonderland and I see that someone beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! I love yogur award and your look "little blue dress"! Allways espectacular! Xoxo
    Www.clubmujeresreales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats!!!!!!!
    I LOVE your style!
    Hugs
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Melanie...and an award well deserved! I love you humor, verve and of course your artist's soul!

    Now I must go 'visit' your awardees...one i know and LOve...so i am excited to meet the new...one thing I have learned from blogs...us birds of a feather really do flock together...thanks for sharing your favorites...

    ReplyDelete
  21. The soft blue color of your dress and the white blouse are very heavenly and cloud-like. You look so sweet and demure.
    And, my goodness, you even rise with zing and uniqueness! You must have been dreaming you were in an 80's band.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on the award! Love reading your blog, you do deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Melanie you deserve many awards. I thought I had you on the blog-roll already, so my apologies for not putting you there sooner.

    Sunday's outfit is so sweet, I love all hues of red and blue and white together. This one whispers: more pie, please.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm seriously impressed by your morning hair! MrB often sports a similar 'do when he wakes up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on a well-deserved award, and most certainly winner of best received.

    what's hork in public anyway? is it a Canadian thing? a typo? or are my eyes bad?...

    and your acceptance outfit is divine. many happy returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Hork means deep-spitting in a vile way, at least that's how the word is used in these parts. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  26. The fantastic prize, congratulations, a naive look, soft pastel, kisses ana

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very much enjoyed your answers to the questions - I read through 2 and 3 twice to savour them slowly, like a good box of chocolates. Congratulations. Has it really only been 3 months that you've been blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoyed reading your answers to the questions. You pictures are beautiful and fun. The dress is lovely, and love the layered look.

    xx
    5th&6th

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm totally in love of your dress... and I love even more of your morning hair... big hug

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...