Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Monday 25 August 2014

Supplicant, that would be me

Oh poor Douglas Coupland...

For those of you who don't know him, he is one of Canada's most internationally acclaimed contemporary writers and artists, and there is currently a survey exhibition of his work at Vancouver Art Gallery. I was perplexed by his latest book, Worst. Person. Ever., and wanted to interview him, either for Vogoff or Bag - I know, it's not my usual thing but I was intrigued, and he lives in Vancouver. When I discovered I could only contact him through his New York agent, I dropped the idea. Until...

I was at one of my cafe haunts a week or so ago and suddenly there he was, seated at a table near the entrance (exit in this case), alone, maybe waiting for someone - me of course. I launched myself at him. He had no chance of escape. Poor man.

I was Dressed that day, of course, something you've never seen but terrifically '70s polyester (not what I'm wearing in these photos), and quiet Mr. Coupland was startled by my swift maneuvering into his space, looking as I did with my toolbox handbag and newly shaggified Warholian locks.

I blah, blah, blahed, asked to shake his hand, blah, blahed. He smiled shyly. And then I asked him if I could interview him sometime about his book. That's when his face shut down. "No, I don't do those," he firmly said. Ah. 


After a little more blahing, I awkwardly, hurriedly gave him my card and released him from my psychic grip. He fled. So did I. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Since I initiate conversations with strangers all the time, and they with me, I figured Mr. Coupland's celebrity shouldn't shield him from my advances any more than the next person, and what if he had said, Sure, why don't you join me for a clambake this afternoon? After all, the world is a freaky place.
These photos feature what I wore on Aug. 15, last Saturday (have I been away that long?), the thrifted vintage lounge attire I wore when Jean of Dross into Gold came to town, see here - except I am wearing my thrifted platform Steve Madden sandals instead of my shaggy green boots, tights, and man robe. I felt calm. So very calm. A benediction. A supplicant? I expected little birds to alight on my open palms mistaking me for a tree in the psychedelic forbidden garden. 

And then below is a shot of me some days ago. I'm older since I last posted. I'm older every single nano-second of every single day. My computer is older, my home is older, my new stuff is older, my thoughts are older. The suction power of the Earth is non-negotiable. My fresh bread is staling even as I type. Which reminds me, I think I have some leftover potato chips...

I look slightly deranged, yes, but what of it? Both of those necklaces I found in the garbage room located off one of my favourite shooting locations, the garbage room atelier. The gown and earrings were thrifted. And I blurred out the background big time. I love this white hair!

Again, I'm not getting around much but I see some of you every day in my VOGOFF layouts. I'm going to link up to Patti and the gang at Visible Monday, just to let you know I'm still around. I hope you're all well!


31 comments:

  1. Love your kaftan / tunic in the last pic! I would love to write something groundbreaking to your amazing post, but it's monday morning and I'm feeling very old right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if Mr Coupland chooses to bestow such a provocative title on his new novel he should expect blah-ing, Warhol's Women and insulting invitations for interviews! Gracious, where has the man been hiding? Doesn't he know that the worst person ever doesn't give interviews? I'm utterly relieved to hear that you were most suitably attired for such an exotic confrontation, no doubt the beastly man is already penning his next tome in a cabin, wearing a full-length bird of paradise silk kimono. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I love that you pounced on Douglas Coupland and how dull that he didn't want an interview, boo. Looking forward to seeing VOGOFF greatly X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eyes are the same colour as the last robe. Obviously part of the supplicant's uniform. Oh and the white hair of course. Was it turned white overnight with the Coupland's rudeness? I too would love to see birds alighting on your upturned palms. You have to sing in a very high voice a la Shrek or one of those! Totally lost on the Garbage Atelier I imagine. Not many birds of the forest down there...maybe a badger? Not sure that's QUITE the same...but maybe around your neck as a scarf or on your head for Hat Attack? Yes! I can see it now! I must stop wittering...somehow you encourage this in me :-D If you can't come to us, we come to you...supplicants all. Xo JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since I am terribly ignorant about proper culture, I have no idea who Douglas Coupland is... I'll never know now, will I, since he refused your invitation to be interviewed! Well done for trying, most people would just whisper and point, at least you shook his hand and said hello.
    I am loving your white hair too, and the floral explosion of a frock is beautiful. Gorgeous last photo - I'm not getting deranged, I see wistful and soft and enigmatic. Lovely! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you try to interview a famous writer which was on your usual path, why not!?, now you can say you've asked for it and that's fabulous: now your projected interview was rejected by Douglas Coupland!! Yes, I agree with you, world is a freaky place!
    And you look absolutely gorgeous, your kimono print and fabulous sleeves look magnificent!, and love your hairstyle!, you look whimsical and inspiring!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never a big fan of Coupland but I have in my time approached similar people and had similar responses... I am however a big fan of the print on that dress. Soooo prettttty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing ventured and all that - I think you were brave to approach and ask. And now, he is dead to me. (JK, Doug!) Wonderful white hair like an angel, and great frock too. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xox.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "startled by my swift maneuvering into his space" omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha So me!! I feel like this could describe almost all my social encounters ever. Just add an over layer of awkwardness. Your robe is stunning and I'm obsessed with your white hair. I can NEVER get mine completely white. Not even professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I love your white hair too! So good.

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm sure he was secretly flattered as hell. The dress...OMG what an amazing print! Kimono meets 70's Vera scarf. It has just the right amount of funkitude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Applauding your effort and nerve here. At least you got to chat with the great man (!) and got a post out of it, right? Curious to know what you might have asked him -- had you formulated questions?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your hair. By any chance, is that your natural color? I am so very frustrated that my light brown hair refuses to have more than 10 white hairs in it. I'd love for it to look like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Older? As in birthday? In case, happy birthday, my dear! If not, well then, you just look smashing. :) Love the hair! I laughed at your accosting of Coupland (I've read several of his books).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you're having to see my crazy mug in the magazine layouts you're working on!
    Love the story about blahing to the fellow artist. Fascinating! Can't say you didn't try. I'm curious about his work and will look him up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I, of course, am partial to platinum hair.

    Sooo looking forward to the new issue of Vogoff and hoping Princess Fakeflowers will make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That man was an idiot to turn you down! But good try :)
    I sadly missed the deadline for Vogoff (unless you want to take a gratuitously late submission, ha!). Very much looking forward to seeing what you and everyone has come up with for this issue!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bravery on the approach of someone like that is nothing less than bad assery! Oh well if he did not see it as an opportunity at something unexpected keep approaching strangers! I love the print on this outfit and I love your fearlessness!
    XXXOO

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are magicccccccccccccccccccc
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow your outfit is stunning. what a silly man to not take the opportunity to talk and be interviewed by you.i am going to spend the next hour going through your blog . i really love your style. i hope one day to be sitting in a cafe and you come up and chat to me. it would make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Someone threw out those necklaces???

    You are gutsy. Mind you, I wouldn't have expected anything else. Such a shame he didn't take you up on it.

    Your eye colour is like frosted steel. Or blue frosted freezies.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. I admire your ability to go for it! Mr. Coupland's loss.

    I love your hair too. And the lovely vintage lounge wear. And your vibrant lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your white hair too...and that blue in last photo is gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not demented. No. You look centered and dreamy to me, and I too, expected birds to sit on your shoulder and look for treats in your open hands. My urban saint! Lovely you ... my little white cat!
    His loss. That's the thing about writers of his ilk. They tend to be introverted. I'm always fascinated by art-makers and what happens for them after the art is out there and no longer private. You can bet he won't forget you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, Melanie...you are as beautiful and feisty as ever...poor DC has no idea of his missed opportunity to be interviewed by you...and as for demented, a touch of it is necessary, IMHO,
    to live in this crazy world.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful style and great photos. I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wouldn't it be just Too, TOO, fab if somehow Mr. Coupland saw this blog and realized what a once in a lifetime opportunity he let slip by??? To be interviewed by a saint, and a snowy-haired, polyester-clad one such as yourself, is a rare experience, and should be embraced, not fled from! Good for you for seizing the moment though. I have always done that kind of thing too, and sometimes it worked out wonderfully, and other times not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your stylizations are extraordinary - I would like to use some of your photos on my blog ,if you 'll agree, is it possible ? greetings

    ReplyDelete
  29. You bold woman you! I love that last photo of you by the way. You're as cute a bunny in a teacup!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looking forward to Vogoff, and your gown is stunningly beautiful!!!
    FF

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...