Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Friday 31 March 2017

Dots and shoe weirdness with Sheila

First up, another photo from the AARP article (HERE), which I posted about last time. I love this combo - my Emporio Armani suit jacket, vintage pants formerly owned by Mr. Sanchez according to the monogram on the inner waistband, vintage Pierre Cardin tie from our former building manager, polka-dot blouse from Talize Delta thrift store, and brown tie boots. NEXT!

The shrubbery behind me spells out NOSH. It's a restaurant patio.

Last weekend I met up with Sheila of sheilaephemera and her partner L when they came to town to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. L better watch out - that's some embrace Sheila and I are locked in. Hahaha!


And when they come to town that can mean only one thing, well, two: booze for breakfast (lunch for them) and a pilgrimage to Fluevog's flagship shoe store. I had a tiny beer for the first time in decades, a dark one. It tasted, hm, woodsy, like mulch and moss in a dark green forest, like a musky critter in a cozy burrow, in a good way. These two are corrupting me. Thank you. Sacriligiously, they ventured into this Brown's shoe store. I can almost hear Sheila whimper with desire for those booties, but she made up for it later at Fluevog.


And we filmed a little video. When I think of these two, I can't help but think of shoes, which inspired me to think of this story. An expert and enthusiastic cast and crew cut months off our shooting schedule. L took on camera duties, at which he excelled, and method acting and props took care of the rest.


Despite the depiction of shoenivores, no shoes were harmed during the making of this video. I was harmed when I had to take home all the leftover licorice. Heh.

After we finished filming, we stumbled across a mini shoe gallery in the middle of the sidewalk. What are the odds? Nobody was watching over them. There was no signage, e.g., Scratch & Sniff, Rate My Treads or Shoe Jenga Challenge. Nothing. It wasn't like stuff had been heaved from a condo window after an angry break-up - these were artfully arranged. Weird, right? 

Also weird are those two people on the sidewalk wearing bee-keeper masks. Where's David Lynch?!


We also veered into Used House of Vintage. The 50% off sale that was on two weekends ago is mostly off now, so that put a damper on my enthusiasm. Of course we had to try on sunglasses. I try on these same sunglasses every time I go. When am I finally going to BUY them?! I love this photo of me and Sheila - Insects from Planet 9.


We had a great time together, as usual: filming, then brunch at Forage (where we had our big blogger meetup brunch), then more filming and some shopping before I had to get home. Sheila did an amazing writeup of their Vancouver adventure on her blog, HERE, with lots more photos. I always love her weekend roundups. I also posted their photo on my street style blog, HERE.

Don't forget, L has a blog too - Creative Maestrom, CD and concert reviews for the musically attuned and a Cole's Notes for the rest of us. He's a gifted writer to be sure.

I wore my drop-crotch jeans, made in Italy, with my purple Mozart jacket for our meetup and again a couple of days later. They are undeniably my new favourite pants, purchased for a bargain at My Sister's Closet. Several sizes too large, they are record-breakingly hipslung without showing rear cleavage, and I can still achieve mobility without waddling. Score!


Below, without the coat and positioned vertically. I absolutely wanted to dress like I had just rolled out of bed; I think I got an A+ on that. These pants, I can hike them belted, like I did during the meetup, or wear them hipslung slouchy, which demonstrates the style versatility thrift shopping opens up for me. In a retail store, I would never consider three sizes too big - I'd head straight for my size on the racks, when in fact the hugeness of these pants gives me far more creative freedom.


I can see from the photo above that I need some black riding boots, a helmet, crop, and an estate in England, or, black riding boots, a newsboy cap, megaphone, director's chair, and Hollywood mansion to take this look to the next level. But nunh, rumpled in the concrete studio is a look unto itself.

And below, the polka-dot blouse and Sanchez pants close up. The dots are a vivid baby blue on a brown background, but the inner collar is lime green with blue dots.


That's all for this week. I'll link to Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style when the time comes. And I've also linked up to Catherine, #iwillwearwhatilike, at Not Dressed as Lamb.

I hope you are all keeping your cool, no matter what your weather is. Finally, some sunshine is here - I can't believe it. Hugs to all.

What do you think those shoes were doing there?!


28 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I enjoyed it tremendously. The video so funny (you scary shoe eating ladies), to "see" Sheila again. Vicariously I was with you (I learned that word from blogging). Your outfits are stunning. Of course I like the top one (obvious when you know meJ, but I have to say that the dropped crotch trousers with the white shirt is looking really good to me too. And indeed, thrift shopping stimulates your creativity even more.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the video. We had fun making it and had a small audience watching. You can hear one of them laughing when the shoes fall over - I boosted the sound. And I love the slouchy look these days. My style is shifting, not entirely to this kind of look, but a bit. Simple yet still a bit irreverent. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Bravo on the brilliant video yet again! Your acting, directing and production skills are Oscar worthy!

    Those drop crotch pants make me wonder. Would they be a problem if you had to run really quickly? If you saw an ice cream truck handing out free double chocolate mint chip ice cream with free bags of Cheezies could you make it there before they sold out? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

    One thing is for sure. You could hold about 50 packs of Cheezies in them no problem. Handy when you go to the movies and don't want to pay the high price for snacks there.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SURE I would be able to catch that truck! NO QUESTION. Heh. And I love the idea of the Cheezies-in-the-pants trick. I could scalp them in the theatre, but maybe people wouldn't want them if they saw me pulling cheese products from my crotch area. Hey, you brought it up in the first place - not me. Hahaha.

      Delete
  3. Those embroidered boots are insane! Love them and the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Those boots are incredible!! I'm glad you like the video, so fun to make. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. You are soooo deliciously weird I can't stand it (and I mean that in the most wonderful way). Another awesome video sprung from the head of Mel; shoe-eating is most certainly going to be come a thing now. Glad you got to spend some quality time with Sheila and L. One day I'm going to get to meet those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had included a scene where we pull the laces from the shoes and THEN start to chomp them down. Heh. I really enjoy spending time with Sheila and L during their getaway. They are a really cool couple - you'd get along for sure. One of these days...

      Delete
  5. I ADORE your videos! They are soooo soooo funny. I loved it when you pretended to eat the shoes!!! Was not expecting that- was expecting a cat fight!!! Seems like you had a fab time with Sheila! The blue trousers worn with the polka dot shirt are an amazing look.
    AND your hair- I love your hair. Sorry, I am gushing here but your blog posts are always so brilliant!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kezzie, you have brought a smile to my face as well. Mwah! I love when people laugh. I bought a whole bag of licorice for the shoe laces. We only ate a couple of pieces "on set," so I was forced to eat the rest at home. Hahaha. Thanks, Kezzie. The hair is a whole other planet. xo

      Delete
  6. I have no idea what the shoes were doing there but I really lusted after the red ones with bows!

    You and Sheila seem to have had a great time and I loved the video.

    Both your outfits are fabulous - I do like a crisp white shirt and polka dots. The Armani jacket is so smart on you with the tie. I love the androgynous look on you - you suit it so much being tall, slim and gorgeous!

    Hope the sunshine lasts...

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, weird about those shoes. And we always have fun when Sheila and L come to town. The sun has been rather timid but it's getting better. I hope you are having sunny days in Ireland!

      Delete
  7. Ha, so much fun!! Thank you for all the shout-outs, my dear! It is always such a treat to meet up with you again! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, always a treat. You guys are real movie pros. Hahaha!!

      Delete
  8. Oh you two (three) crazy, funny smart kids! Are shoes terribly fattening? I have to know. What a wonderful get-together, I am happy for you all and jealous as hell. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the shoelaces are fattening. Heh.
      Going to Forage really brought back memories of the last big meetup. I hope we can have another one!

      Delete
  9. That video seriously made me hoot out loud!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goal was to make you laugh. It was fun dragging the shoes down the sidewalk too.

      Delete
  10. You are sexy as hell in menswear. I can hardly stand it! *dies* Loving that first photo. Impeccable. Also the drop crotch denim jeans give me life. <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks, Anna. I am enjoying menswear more and more. There is a particular freedom in wearing it slouch-style too. The drop crotch jeans, that was a score of timing, for sure. They had just pulled them out of the donation bag. Woo hoo! xo

      Delete
  11. lOVE your awesomeness, dear ladies!, I would like to be there for some thrifting and coveting all those shoes! and beer for breakfast too! I need that kind of corruption!
    You look fabulous in those pants, oh yeah, I would support any pretension over Hollywood mansions or english estates. You deserve all of them!
    And love your 'mr.sanchez' pants and that polka dot shirt! you rock!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Maybe, someday, when we're in the same place at the same time, we can be corrupt together! That would be so much fun. Those drop crotch pants are a universe of goodness, to be sure. And I am forever thankful to Mr. Sanchez for those other pants - I've worn them often. Thank you for this tremendous comment. xo

      Delete
  12. Your shoe escapade has me laughing over my morning coffee. You and Sheila, along with L, are marvelously entertaining. Great video!

    Your drop-crotch jeans display your vast creativity! I am enthralled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I love crafting these. Finding music that sounds right to my ear is the very best part - it makes everything come together. Sheila and L were real pros. Thanks so much, Judith. xo

      Delete
  13. Brilliant video of you lovelies! The low slung jeans are a style revalation to me, especially sizing up - what a brilliant idea.

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the video. If I were try to buy these pants retail, I know I would shop for "my size" and miss out on all the fun I'm having with these. Funny, right? Thanks, Anna. xo

      Delete
  14. FABULOUS! LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS POST Melanie! And the shoes??? Sheila dropped them?? (can't imagine her in the very sensible lace up runners though...) Keep that creative energy bubbling xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had a pair of Mr. Sanchez's trousers in often-winter-rotation when I was in college - mine look to be thicker (very warm wool) and were inexpertly pegged narrow (as that was the thing in the 80's). Had heard that they were French sailor's pants....but who knows?! Love how the buttons march across the stomach!

    You inspire me to attempt to shake off my boring clothing sloth! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...