Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Sunday 7 October 2018

Style rules, and mending vintage leather pants the easy way

Bad ass. Elegant. Bad ass. Elegant. Elegass. Badegant?  Whatever. 

Wearing my vintage leathers - leather pants, leather jacket, leather booties - with denim jacket and tuxedo shirt. And of course my magic loupe that my partner O made me. You can buy one HERE. And a ring he made me too, which you can also buy there, unless he's sold out. Plus I'm carrying my swell, elegant, swellegant clutch. 


The word swellegant reminds me of the movie High Society with Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Louis Armstrong (remake of Philadelphia Story) and this song, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," although the word itself is in "Well, Did You Evah" by Sinatra and Crosby. I love watching this movie on a cold rainy day, with hot chocolate and popcorn or tea and chocolate digestive biscuits.


Back to the outfit. These leather pants are snug, and you know the rule about that, don't you?

Rule 573.2 (REV 22.1a): 
One must never wear one's snug leather trousers without one's jacket covering one's posterior in case one's trousers explode when one is downtown.
I know, I know I said I don't believe in style rules, but this case is a definite exception. Thankfully, my trousers did not explode. But I had reason to believe they might.

They are snug, as I said, but there are also little rips in the inner and outer seams at the knees on the left leg, suggesting there may be more seam weaknesses elsewhere. I am quite pleased with my leather repair work: I slapped two-inch long pieces of clear packing tape onto the outside of the pant legs.

When I was downtown I went shopping in all the high-end designer stores - Prada, Gucci, Dior - and I can only hope everyone in the shops was familiar with this rule:

Rule 93.115 (REV 39-81):
When one has wardrobe malfunctions, one must patch one's clothing with what one has at hand whilst heading out the door and then proceed to wear one's repair like one is a super-stellar trendsetter and rock star.
And that's what I did. Perhaps next time I go downtown I'll see more people with packing tape on their pants. Or tape on the clothing on the racks. [Don't forget, I'm Canadian and we believe that duct tape and WD-40 (oil) can fix anything.]


Wearing my leathers it seemed fitting that I would unexpectedly encounter KISS playing in the Vancouver Art Gallery plaza for the Hallowe'en Parade and Expo - well, they were in fact called Alive 'n' Kissin', I think. For a couple of songs I whooped in homage to my sustained youth, heh. There was a gaggle of kids at the foot of the stage who scrambled for candies when the band threw them into the crowd.


I admired the band's outfits, makeup, and stamina. The man on the left lifted his arms once in a while to reveal amazing bat wings! I regret not staying to catch a photo, but it was raining and umbrellas were jostling for space.


Love those boots!!

But my destination was Canada Place down by the waterfront for this:


Hahaha! The first time I saw this sign I was with Sherry of Petite Over 40. I said to her, "Sherry, there I am. Oh my god, THERE I AM! I NEED A PICTURE. I NEED A PICTURE!!" She fumbled in her bag for her phone. Of course I didn't have anything at hand. The ads were scrolling and I knew I'd come around again, so I became more level-headed:

HURRY, SHERRY! HURRY!! 
IT'S GOING TO DISAPPEAR!! QUICK!!!

Sherry scrambled and fumbled frantically in her bag as I waved my arms and jumped around her. I'm pretty sure my hair stood even higher than usual too. No pressure. Hahaha. A tourist walking by said, "Don't worry, it will come back." Sherry and I laughed.

Eventually we both got a picture, but the bright sign was almost whited out in our photos against the dark night sky, and neither of us wanted to stick around to adjust our devices for the next scroll-around.

So today I went down in daylight, rainy-day daylight. Great conditions.


I'm huuuuge, literally. I confess, this was a big rush. I stood there for a while waiting for me to scroll around, my camera pointed up at the building. Of course when you look up at something with a camera, people around you start taking photos of what you're looking at too, along the lines of, if she thinks it's good, I better get a shot too.

And a photo of me on the stairs, jackets off.


Also, Margaret Manning of Sixty and Me has posted articles based on a couple of YouTube interviews I did with her. Thanks, Margaret!

  1. FASHION OVER 50 – 5 INSIDER TIPS TO BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE (MOST PEOPLE TOTALLY MISS #4!)
  2. 5 WAYS MAKING VIBRANT FASHION CHOICES AFTER 60 WILL EMPOWER YOU!

They might be fun to check out. If you found my blog through Margaret, thank you, too, for joining me!

AND, a FREAKY FACT:
Your age plus your birth year equals 2018. Every time. This only happens once every 1,000 years.
Think about it. Heh.

Finally, I'm going to link with Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style and Catherine's #iwillwearwhatilike at Not Dressed as Lamb.

Whew. Congratulations! You've made it this far. Keep on bein' the stellar creatures you all are. Live! Live! Live! Be strong! I'm so happy you stopped by. Although I'm sorry I ate all the powder sugar doughnuts before you got here, and the chips too. But I still have some Twizzlers left (twisty red licorice ropes).

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends, well, ALL friends for that matter.



40 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure one's age plus birth year only equals 2018 ONCE EVER. Even in 1000 yours, it won't ever happen again! ;) xxx @jessiejessyg
    Love your mending methods btw, and I have a yellow sister to your swellegant clutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Hahaha! O showed me this fact and laughed.
      That's so cool that you have the sister yellow clutch! I love this bag.

      And thanks for pointing out that you are jessiejessyg. I had no idea! Hahaha! Okay then. xo

      Delete
  2. YAAAAAYYYYY!!! You GOT IT!!!! And it looks...well...like you! Which is to say, ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, dahling! I'm so glad you went back to Canada Place, sporting your full-on fancy leathers-with-duct tape, to capture the photo we were after on that super fun night. As always, you are the awesomest, both in person and on the Big Screen. If I was there, I'd give you three high fives. Maybe six.

    Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving!
    - Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a good day for stalking my photo. And so funny to see everyone taking photos of the building, which is what they thought I was doing. Hahaha!

      I met a cool family who asked me to take their picture and after waiting patiently for more than 10 minutes I knew I was just about to scroll around again. I asked them to wait a minute and told them what I was doing and they were all starstruck. So sweet and utterly weird. Then we all took each other's photos and they waited for me to scroll around again. The photo is not there now. Apparently there was an even bigger light billboard on a big bridge here too. I missed it! Hahaha.

      So so fun hanging out with you, Sherry. Six high-fives. xo

      Delete
  3. Dont you look fantastic on the rolling billboard, glad you got the shot to share with us. You wear those leathers brilliantly and clever mending. Aussies feel the same about duct tape and WD40. Must check out your videos with Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that we are such close relations regarding the duct tape and WD-40! Hahaha! Excellent!! Thanks for visiting. xo

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, Twizzlers. The only candy I'll need in the afterlife. Love the story of you and Sherry catching YOU!! on the billboard, you're so fab. And (almost) KISS too - that's serendipity, baby. Love your look and your shapely leathers, very badassegantcool. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Twizzlers, the all-round candy, good as a drinking straw, for whipping people, for shredding, munching, perfect movie food.

      Sherry and I had a blast! The poor (almost) KISS band - their most avid audience members were kids under 10. They were stoic. xo

      Delete
  5. OMG!!! How totally awesome is THAT? On Canada Place. You even got some red leaves in the shot. It must feel totally surreal. I'd be running around yelling at people, "That's ME!!!... Suckers!" I'm glad you went back and took such a great shot for your portfolio.

    Duct tape is good for everything. I've seen so many cars repaired with that and it helped me fix a vent on the outside of the house recently. I've never used packing tape though. It doesn't have as much stamina. They have all kinds of really fun duct tape in neon and leopard.

    For a second I thought that was the real Kiss! I was such a fan back in the day.

    You look every bit the super model you are. Keep kicking ass.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, abso-fecking-lutely surreal. I was apparently on a big bridge billboard too. I would have had stopped traffic if I had seen it - probably best that I didn't.

      Packing tape is for wusses. But it worked for the pants because it was clear. You can still buy that old old-school duct tape, original hardiness, at Lee Valley Tools, twice the heft of the new slimmed down duct tape.

      So funny to see kids swarming the stage for KISS. Poor guys. But they were good. There were original fans like us hanging back, trying hard not to sing out loud or dance, trying hard to keep up the facade of role models. Heh. xox

      Delete
  6. So, my age (56) plus my birth year (1961) equals 2017 - explain that, will ya?

    Happy Thanksgiving, my visible friend. So glad you got a photo of you, larger than life. It must have been such a rush to see your face up there.

    Can I just say how much I freakin' adore that leather and denim outfit! If I was your size, I think I would dress like that every day. It just oooooozes confident and fierce bad-assery. Kudos on the packing tape repairs. You are a trend-setter baby, a TREND-SETTER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, ahhh, hmm, okay, wait a month and try it. Hahaha!!
      Happy Thanksgiving, although by now all the turkey has been et (I hope!) and all the wine drunk.

      Yeah, totally weird to be up there. But I took the photos and came home. It's not the dream where life is suddenly unicorns and lollipops because you're Public. Hahaha.

      The pants are snug, wearable, I can sit, walk, but I have to hope I don't drop anything. Actually, that would make a good video, me trying to pick something up while I'm wearing these pants. xo

      Delete
  7. You look completely fabulous in your luscious leatherness Melanie. Your creative, precautionary, patching added just one more unexpected yet edgey style element to the look.
    I loved the story of you and Sherry in that thrilling moment of seeing your larger than life self up there in the sky! I'm sure it's a bit like that Oscar moment for Sally Field so many years ago but with a twist. " I like me! I really like me!"
    We all need more moments like that. Love, Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Sally Field, who can forget that? Sherry and I were silly after dinner to begin with. Seeing the sign just exaggerated that. I hope some tourists caught us on tape. Hahaha!

      I should really mend mend these pants but pffft. And there's lining to deal with. I already find it difficult to stitch leather. So until the day tape is not enough, I'll carry on.

      Thanks, Jude!! xo

      Delete
  8. LOVE the leather outfit with denim, white shirt and squinchy eyes! You look great 20 ft. high. Love the shot with the red maple leaves. So Canadian. Even better than duct tape and WD-40.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just arrived when I took the first shot in a flurry, not fully set up, which is of course how many of our best shots come about. It was only later that I realized how cool it was with the trees.

      It was weird seeing me so big. Those ads are down now. I'm glad I got these photos.
      xo

      Delete
  9. I am thinking you could really do some artsy duct tape work on those leather jeans (which look fabularse on you, BTW). You look utterly badass - that is some high-class badass ya got there. I spotted one of the "other" Nordies in a bus stop the other day, so now I am on the lookout for you! If I see it, I'll take a picture!

    Hoping you have a lovely Thanksgiving long weekend - it's rainy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wait until the jeans take another downturn before I go wild with the duct tape, which will happen. I'm late replying but I've heard reports of where I've been spotted. It's like an odd "Where's Wally" game.

      Thanks, Sheila, for visiting! xo

      Delete
  10. Wd40? Haha! What a fabulous pants! That is such a beautiful photo of you on the Nordstrom Ad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, WD-40 is a miracle oil. If it's broke, use WD-40. I've never heard of it being used on the face though, and I won't try it. Thanks, Nancy, re. the Nordstrom ad. That was the most fun shoot! xo

      Delete
  11. I say, let her rip, bay-bee. Torn jeans are so yesterday. Leather rips are the future. Rip, slash, trash it leather pants, jackets, boots and bags. You are on the cusp of it all. And how about the sky high Mel flying glorious and free like a flag on top of Canada Place with Maple leaves, oh my. Are you getting asked for autographs and followed by paparazzi now? Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That day is coming, Pao, the rip, slash, trash, tape-it-all-up, repeat. Now that pot is legal here I could be flying just as high. Hahaha! (Not, though.) There was a flurry of activity when people realized that was me up there, but it dissipated quickly. People in my building ask if that's me in the ads they've been seeing. Hahaha! Mini-fame. xox

      Delete
  12. Oh how that must feel... to see yourself flashing (in a good way) on such a big screen. Are you already being recognized? Why isn't there a close-up of the ring and the loupe? There should be. There will be of my ring next Sunday! Did you read my review on Etsy?
    Anyway, your first photo took my breath away. God you have a good figure. Love this outfit. So bad ass, so rocking. Perfect.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had people in my building ask if that's me in the ads. Very odd but cool at the same time.

      I saw your blog post and your Etsy review and your IG post. You are AMAZING!! Thank you!!! I must do more closeups. And more pure promotion. Reminders like yours are really good to get me moving. I'm like a tanker.

      I admit I love this outfit. I feel very cool when I wear it. But I have a hard time picking up anything I drop. It would be funny to see me try. Sitting, walking, okay though. xo

      Delete
    2. Everybody who compliments me on my ring, gets my suggestion to buy the last one haha.

      Delete
  13. Finally, someone who also uses packing tape to mend clothes! And what about staples to mend a fallen hem? I've yet to think of a way to use WD-40 for mending clothes, though. How utterly fabulous is that picture of that picture of you at Canada Place! And you in your leathers are utterly fabulous too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried tape for a fallen hem in an emergency. It's very temporary. I've tried staples, but had no success with them. WD-40 would be good for fabric painting I suspect. Hahaha!

      So weird to think of people who gazed up at me at Canada Place. A great mind rush.

      The leathers feel great.
      Thanks for your visit!! xo

      Delete
  14. Such a cool outfit! It must be incredible (and a bit surreal) to see yourself on a billboard! Huge congratulations!

    Emma xxx
    www.style-splash.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely surreal. So fleeting.
      Thanks for visiting! xo

      Delete
  15. I think I'd be selling tickets for the event if I was up on a billboard like that. You are indeed huge! Rocking those leathers too, and thanks for the styling advice re the tape. I've stashed a mini roll of it in my handbag ready for my next fashion emergency.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I hope you don't need this as a remedy. Rain is not a friend of packing tape, nor for that matter is leather, although it definitely works in a pinch! Yeah, tickets would have been great. A toll bridge. It was definitely fun to see - as you know from your own adventures lately! xo

      Delete
  16. You look stunning in this leather combo. The pants and the boots are so perfect together. Great to know you managed to DIY your way out of a wardrobe malfunction.
    Congrats on being on a billboard, and such a pretty photo as well. I loved that campaign and found it really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliments about the campaign. I love its message of inclusivity and freedom. They are dream states but definitely worthy aspirations.

      I'm glad this malfunction limited itself to the knee area!!

      Thanks for visiting, Ivana. xox

      Delete
  17. You look so fabulous in your leather and denim pieces!, you're a RockStar!.
    And now I have to watch this film which I barely remember.
    I'm taking notes on your Brilliant Advice. Snug pants can be so damn tricky!
    And maybe I'm half-canadian, as I Believe in Duct Tape! it Works (at least, it works until you get home and repair the thing properly!, such a lifesaver!)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only my real life would catch up to my imagination I would be all set. The billboard is at least one step in the Rockstar direction. Heh.

      I agree that proper repairs are the best approach. The tape saved my ass, potentially anyway. Hahaha! xox

      Delete
  18. Elegant bad ass indeed. Rocking the leather, even in the various states of disrepair, and patched up wearability.
    Love your clutch, your denim jacket, and your hair that stands up to make sure that people know you are the star that you appear to be !
    A reverent bow to you... So my back does not go into spasm.. it will be a metaphorical one .

    ❤️ Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Metaphorical bow accepted. Hahaha!! I do a great slouchy walk when I wear this outfit too. It really impacts my imagination and presentation.

      Thanks for visiting, Elle. xox

      Delete
  19. Bad ass! You said it yourself but it's the biggest emotion and the only word I have to describe you or my feelings. My! this outfit is too cool, I want to copy it now, badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you've done this look yourself before, Lyosha! And very well too! Thanks for visiting! xo

      Delete
  20. Just discovered your blog from your Nordstrom ads. Hello, fellow Vancouverite! I need those boots in my closet so bad. Anyway, please don't tape your pants and ruin your vintage. I take my leather needs to Progressive Shoe Repair on Cambie (near 16th) if you haven't already. Modest mom and pop shop, got photo books of their work you can see. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...