Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Thursday 21 March 2019

My big screen debut, a contest, Female Trouble, and more

Bing. I'm back!!

I'd show you holiday photos if I'd actually been on a holiday in the last month, but all the travelling I have done lately has been in my head - and I know that if I showed you photos of that, you would all get motion sickness. 

So here I'll show you what I've been wearing since I last wrote.


Kids loved those sunglasses. So did I. Especially with my space-age helmet hair.


The sweater in the next photo was a gift from British brand HADES, pure virgin lamb's wool, hand-made in Scotland. HADES offers several sayings, but this is my fave of the bunch. The retro font is reminiscent of the zany '60s movie Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows with Rosalind Russell. I didn't even know there was a John Waters movie by this name from 1974. Oh woe. I must see it.

In this outfit I felt like I was on a movie set. That's my script beside me (not really, it's my Glitter Barbie sketch pad I bought in Greece, which I use as a clipboard when I attend press events).


And more stuff.


I don't know how that greenie-brown XXL boiler suit made it into my closet. Secret interloper! Maybe it seduced me with its huge baggy sloppiness in a moment of weakness. I'm sure that's it.


Sleuthing aside, I did something very terrifying in my absence. And I failed at it really, really badly in a good way.

I entered a video in a competition by CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) called Next Up for amateur standup comedians, un-agented and previously unpaid. Except I'm not quite stand-up. I'm more La-Z-Boy really. I only did two takes because otherwise I would have chickened out. That's my excuse; I'm sticking to it. I could have hidden this, but there is misery in numbers. Right?

Rules for viewing:
Don't feel guilty or bad if you don't like it. For feck's sake, please don't be happy if you don't like it. And don't laugh either. Well, you can laugh but not in a mean way. If you start to feel mean, go to Suzanne's blog here; she's the one who told me about the contest. Hahaha. Now I'm laughing.


It is extremely painful to try to be funny alone in one's room, without music or a laugh track. Ask Sherry at Petite Over 40 because we made a mini Laugh-In show called LOL 40-Up. "Total fecking silence," to quote a line from Steve Buscemi in one of my favourite movies, Fargo. See the scene here, with Russian overdubbing!

Ten finalists have been selected, excluding moi, but including lots of women. Right on!! Have a look and a laugh. Finalists. You can browse all the entries here #CBCNextUp. Clearly my piece is more monologue than stand-up, but I was happy just to get my video out there. I figure that was a 10 on the experiential freak-yourself-out-for growth chart.
______________________________________

AND, I made a sponsored video for Talize Thrift store which I posted on Instagram. My friend Elizabeth Zvonar helped with camera work. Lots of fun. I am not under any obligation to post it here, but click the picture if you want to see it.


AND, finally, the real movie I was in, the documentary Keep It In The Streets, written and directed by Everett Bumstead, is now playing on YouTube, 70 min. Everett and Sam, who was also instrumental in the project, are awesome. Experimental art film. I am honoured to have been a part of this. I hope you get a chance to watch. Their heart is in every scene. Click the photo to go to YouTube.


And that's it from me for now. I'm going to have a fun mini meetup tomorrow! Can't wait.

I'll link up with Patti at Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday and Catherine at Not Dressed as Lamb for #iwillwearwhatilike when they come up next.

Keep cool, my friends.
As always, thank you for visiting!!


18 comments:

  1. You've been busy being famous.

    Ha ha! That's right...send mean people my way ; P .

    I'm glad they put the movie up. I'm going to watch it this weekend.

    That furry coat is such a great colour.

    I wanted to write something funny but my brain is still asleep.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Mean people might like me better, so don't worry. ?! They edited the movie down by about half. But I made the cut. Haha!! I see great things for Everett and Sam. I still think you should have entered that contest yourself. You're so good, Suzanne.

      Delete
  2. Good morning! Howwibly early here as I'm flying out to host an awards diner in another city which sound SO glamorous! But it's 7.25 n a saturday morning and the students who live across the street had a very noisy party last night so I don't feel very glam! ;) Anywy, lovely adventures, will watch videos when I get back. Big WMAHs to you xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, oh my!! It sounds glamorous because it IS glamorous. I expect nothing less from you! How exciting. I'll be looking for you in the media too! I hope you have/had a smashing evening.

      Delete
  3. Somehow I saw this "compass rose" comedy video on YouTube quite a while ago! Your comedic questioning of long held positional concepts was great! My particular favorites were the references to heaven and he'll and finding yourself in purgatory. Shit!... I recall the story about all sorts of unbaptised babies filling up that happy spot! What a load!! I sure hope there's a special Hades for child molesting priests!! (can you tell I was raised Catholic!) Love, Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My entry for that contest was at the end of March. I wasn't going to show anyone. I don't think it's my best work, but hey, I changed my mind. I can't fret about it anymore. And I like that jacket I wore!! I was always fascinated by the concept of purgatory. Catholics got all the good stuff, like saints and statues and cool architecture. Sigh. Thanks, Jude. xo

      Delete
  4. Funny!!!! I love your voice, too!!
    Boiler suits are everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always say coveralls but I've been brainwashed by Instagram!! Gaaaa!!! They always get you in the end. This boiler suit needed some mending but it was worth it. It's hard getting used to my recorded voice. But I do love that jacket I was wearing.

      Delete
  5. Ha Steve Buscemi is fantastic! And so are of course!😀😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Buscemi, right? He's awesome! That movie is a total favourite. Especially the buffet scene and the sound effects. Hahaha. Thanks, Nancy.

      Delete
  6. Awesome seeing you in all these videos. Makes me miss you more though. You are so alive, so vibrant, so sweet and genuine. Luckily they didn't show your "idea". By the way, that means you have a master plan as well?? Do you?
    You know I think your boiler suit is great, right on trend.
    Darling you are already soooo succesful. You never thought you would come this far when you for instance started to post on Instagram.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good at telling others to get a master plan, but my own? Hahaha. Thanks for watching, Greetje, and these kind words. Everett and Sam are so cool and talented, and they are incredible skateboarders.

      I think I bought the boiler suit because I was brainwashed by their trendiness. But I love it.

      And you are so right - I never, ever, ever thought I would be doing these things. I miss you like crazy!

      Delete
  7. Bravo to you for entering the contest. I'm sorry you didn't get through to the finals, but if they only knew how truly funny you are. You are a gifted physical comedian (eg. the leather pants videos) and that's hard to put across in a video where you are telling a joke.

    I love that purple onesie (and it does look fab with the pink suede coat), and the blue and orange long puffer reminds me of those awesome Moncler puffer dresses. I will watch the documentary this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The physical comedy is something I love love love. The standup, the problem is I suck at telling jokes. I can never remember the punchline, which can be painfully funny.

      The puffer coat was a church flea market find last year, same place/time I got the purple onesie. And yeah, the coat you gave me is go-to for this purple onesie. Love it so much!

      Delete
  8. oh my, oh my, you are everywhere all at once and always moving too and in the coolest combinations. I'm breathless. (How'd you get hold of my army boiler suit, by the way?) An endless round of applause to you and your aplomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found these coveralls at a thrift shop. Someone had chopped them open at the ankle so I had to do a little sewing repair. I was in a weird mood when I bought it but now I'm glad I did. I could wear a puffer coat under them, or transport a whole family of puppies. Best to keep moving cause then you don't see the wrinkles, clothes or face.

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness I swung by today, catching you while you rocket skywards (as opposed to North) to fame and fortune! God, haven't you been busy? Loved you bit of stand up and thought it was so gutsy. Breaking out of the comfort zone is brave and mad all in one. Love the Talize video too and I'd definitely shop there if I thought I'd have a glimpse of you in super stylish mode. Wonderful sharing, thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skywards, yes, much more clear! Gutsy is the word. Freaking terrifying. But I survived. Thanks for visiting and bearing with my blundering. There's so much to learn and do. xox

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...