Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Sunday 21 July 2019

New parts in Faux France

I woke up to discover that the part in my hair had changed sides during the night. How did this happen? What mysterious forces are at play?

Actually, I like my part on this new side - it's like a whole new Mel. Hooray! Not that I disliked the old one, but it's too bad that I can't wake up with a new firm neck. Maybe if I slept with my feet over my head that would work because I've tried every other position with failure. Sigh. I don't know how I managed this hair trick.

Mel Kobayashi of Bag and a Beret, black jeans, man shoes, Jul 20 2019

I am wondering if this sneaky hair shift is due to the movement of the North Pole - yes, it's a thing. Seriously, it's moving, which is totally off-putting. I can't count on the north being north? Canada has always promoted itself as True North, so now we are Off-kilter North? Faux North? Fact are not facts anymore?!! Nothing new there, I guess. Sigh.

Mel Kobayashi of Bag and a Beret, black jeans, man shoes, Jul 20 2019

Now, obviously, I have to check my hair whorl to see if it has also switched direction. Given that water swirls down the drain counter-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Northern, it would be logical that hair whorls everywhere are also shifting madly with the movement of the Poles in a whorly-whirly-gig event.

My whorl goes clockwise - or is it counterclockwise? Gaaa, I've forgotten! Why don't we have bracelets with this vital information? Now I'll have to go digging through old photos to check, but I can't do that because I'll lose my appetite and it's almost time for nibblies.

Mel Kobayashi of Bag and a Beret, black jeans, man shoes, Jul 20 2019

Or maybe my part reversed because of all those earthquakes on the West Coast and the geographical shifting that happened. Sherry, Petite Over 40, of Seattle has said she's inching toward Vancouver. Whoa, free transportation! Again, hooray: reliable and inexpensive transport is vital for a thriving economy, I always say. And it will be great having Sherry as a neighbour for when I need to borrow baking supplies. ??!!

(Note to self: Check out border real estate to cash in on this phenomenon; not sure how shrinking land mass will work to my benefit yet though.)

I took these photos in Faux France, where everyone is attractive and happy and stylish and I speak fluent French, yet with a touch of an English accent to make me exotic and alluring - although I'm not sure it works that way. Speaking English with a French accent sounds so awesome to my ear but the other way...?

Mel Kobayashi of Bag and a Beret, black jeans, man shoes, Jul 20 2019

I stay at the Hotel George X (double better than the George V), where everything is fun and free. This morning, for example, I had breakfast with Javier Bardem and Colin Firth. Wow! Croissants with butter and blueberry jam, and avocados on the side, and wine of course. And there were loads and loads of flowers on the table, so many I couldn't even be sure if that was Javier and Colin over there; I just took an educated guess. I'm clever like that. Not a genius though, I admit.

Some people might mistake this location for Vancouver Art Gallery, the steps to nowhere because the doors at the top are permanently sealed. It is also malodorous there. I ask you: Why would I go there when I can skip through the streets of Faux France?

Mel Kobayashi of Bag and a Beret, black jeans, man shoes, Jul 20 2019

No matter what, the reality is the wind in my hair and this faboo outfit, all old, thrifted, energizing - man shoes, black jeans, an oversized top. The amazing neckpiece is from Anja, Curly Traveller, from a few years back. I love it!!

And that, my friends, is my day. I'll be hopping on the Concorde (the good kind that exists and doesn't malfunction) for New York in a few hours. Maybe we can have lunch at the Met? Wear a gown. Toodle-loo. Heh.

Hope you're all having a stellar time being your fabulous selves.

Mel Kobayashi of Bag and a Beret, black jeans, man shoes, Jul 20 2019

I'll link up to Patti and Catherine at Not Dead Yet Style and Not Dressed as Lamb for Visible Monday and #iwillwearwhatilike.  Yup.



23 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! Yes! We shall be neighbors in a matter of centuries--or minutes, depending on how hard The Big One hits. Having said that, I'd love to share baking supplies with you every single day, but I'm hoping The Big One waits for me to fall off the face of the semi-North-but-maybe-West-pole.

    As always, I love your outfit and your dreamy mindscape in which you speak French with an English accent and have breakfast bubblies with Colin and Javier. Can I join you? And sit right next to Colin? I promise not to make my crush too obvious and awkward.

    HUGS!!!!!
    - Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I lied, as Suzanne pointed out. I would come over to take your actual baking!! Hahaha!!! That Hitchcock movie will have to be renamed - Northish by Northish-West.

      Oh yes, do join us. The same old faces around the table gets frightfully boring. Hahaha!

      Delete
  2. I rather like your part on that side of your head. Actually, I wouldn't have noticed that it had switched sides if you hadn't pointed it out ;). I like the shirt (if you get tired of it you know where I am) and the necklace. I am happy to meet you at the Met, and then we must go to the Brooklyn Museum to see the Pierre Cardin exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, parts are not really something I notice either, unless it's on my own head. And it has switched back. I guess the earthquake danger has passed. They should sign me up to that science team as an early warning system.

      Oh yes, that Cardin exhibit looks amazing!! We need more designs like that!

      Delete
  3. Well you take the flowers dear, I'll take Javier and Colin! Although they would be totally bedazzled by your appearance! Hope to see you on my Fancy Friday linkup party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Okay, a deal. I've "done" Javier and Colin, so to speak. Heh. Sorry I missed your linkup party. I have a hard time just linking up here. Hahaha!

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh, France. And it's so made for you, what with the croissants, jam, and way to collect yummy men. You're a star, as per always, and your newly formed hair-part is perfect! xox

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My newly-form part has departed again. She said hello then made a hasty retreat. Pffft. But I can force her back into being. France, not sure it's as high on my list anymore. The France of my dreams doesn't change though. xox

      Delete
  5. I think by sharing baking supplies you meant that Sherry will be bringing you some of her homemade fresh baked bread daily. Sounds great to me!

    Yeah, the whole accent thing doesn't really work as well the other way around. Trust me. I've done the research.

    Javier and Colin for breakfast! Yummy! ; P

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!!! You nailed my ploy instantly! Yeah, the accent thing. I've asked others about what English sounds like to them and they say it's like a bunch of flat r's all over the place, almost like gargling. rrr rrrr rrr. Niiiice. No, Suzanne, I didn't consume Javier and Colin for breakfast. !

      Delete
  6. Necklace - yes! Hair - hmm. It looks like you, but also doesn't look like you. Strange how that works. Faux France looks very classy indeed, right down to the Microsoft logo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the hair stuck around for a bit then departed, heh. It's a bit tame. That pesky Microsoft. I already shopped out the Nordstrom logo in some of the photos. Everywhere you look! The logos are inescapable. I'm going to put a big neon sign on my head. Ha!

      Delete
  7. Faux France eh? Clever. Why not? We have faux leather why not faux france? You look lovely as ever. Is that the bracelet I brought when I came over for the blogger meet? I think I carried a parcel from Anja. She is such an admirer of you.
    I am glad you made a close-up of the front of the shirt. Interesting details. And I really like your bag.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is indeed the jewellery from Anja. I mentioned it above with a link. It was a long post and it was easily buried in all that other blah blah blah. Anja is a wonderful creative spirit.
      I had to fix the shirt. It had a long tear in the front and I put a felt patch on it and then sewed like mad. I like it as a detail though. This time it worked out. My bag has a matching dress to go with it! I should find it.
      xo

      Delete
  8. You always bring a laugh or grin. Your hair is great on that side! (But I am not changing my painting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! No, please don't! My part has switched back anyway.

      Delete
  9. You always make m giggle!!! I enjoyed Faux France! Much nicer than the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I've heard. The France of my dreams is always perfect - the weather, the food, the fashion, everything free. And they all understand my English, and me their French. Heh. Thanks for visiting, Kezzie!!

      Delete
  10. I can't convince my stubborn part to try the other side. Like some other "parts" of me that have fallen, bunched, sagged or just become pesky I try to mentally adjust. Having just attended my 50th high school class reunion I know my experience isn't unusual.
    As for faux France I'd go if I was invited and as long as the faux was not of a deceitful variety. Straightforward faux can be artful and fun.
    You are just smashing in rugged oversized black. Is that a faux Harley you've climbed on in the last shot? Love Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you need an earthquake to make your part switch, but won't. Not worth it. These numbers are baffling. Who invented them? Why? Must we?
      You are invited and it is not deceitful in the least. It is fanciful and fully disclosed as such. Heh.
      Hahaha, yes, it does look like a Harley. Great vision. Thanks, Jude. xox

      Delete
  11. ooo, I like that last unknown post about starting women dress exporters. You'd be great at it, Melanie. And that faux motorcycle photo is the absolute best. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I took that comment down. I'm such a skeptic! The motorcycle, yeah, I'm ready to hit the open road. Seriously, the noise in the city is getting to me. But I shouldn't complain. Hugs to you Pao.

      Delete
  12. love that your hair has that magnificent superpower!, I've tried to convince mine to switch sides but it didn't collaborate! mwhaha
    And love your Faux France, where everything looks so cool!, You Look Fabulous Indeed! (but you rock everywhere). Love your oversized shirt and massive pendant and love your style!
    besos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...