Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Monday 26 September 2016

Yellow Skirt Update!! And a middle-aged debutante


I got my new business cards. Which means - I've ARRIVED! It's like being a debutante but older and better, although I still haven't reached my age of maturity. 

When my cards arrived, I danced around my home doing 3D effects like those 1970s Saturday Night Live skits "in 3D" where the actors zoomed in and out of the camera with echoey voices. I must have said to O umpteen billion times, "Look at my new card! LOOK! Bwahahaha. In 3D!" Poor man. I gave him one. It still left me with 199.

Left front; right back; there is no middle

I know it's just printing on paper (although I ordered the slightly thicker card stock) but somehow I regard this little card as a mini passport to my dreams. No more scrumply, scratchy, ripped napkins with ink blots and coffee drips! People will see me and say, "Now there's a woman with a card!" And then, "Double-sided? That's one classy dame."

Blooper. Ruffle slap.
I'm practising:
"Oh, if you like this outfit, you might like my blog. Here's my card." 
"On your TV show? I'll check my schedule. Here's my card." 
"My fan club? Come to think of it, I could use a chapter in Fargo. Here's my card." 
"I agree. Your people and my, uh, person should talk. Here's my card."
"O, where did I put my feckity-frickin' cards!!"


In the photo above, I'm practising how to walk in New York. On my IG, I demonstrate how I would hail a taxi in major cities around the world. I must be prepared for, you know, whenever. Now that I have cards.

So next, I just have to: a) remember to bring my cards with me, and; b) remember where I'm carrying them - pocket, purse, hair? Funny thing is, after being out card-armed twice already, I haven't given any away, nor have I sold any - that would be tacky. So what's the problem? Then it hit me:


I have to be fabulous to engage in card exchange, not shamefacedly lacklustre. So now there is pressure to live up to my card! It's not difficult to achieve that werewolf face on a daily basis, but that composed gown look? For feck's sake, I was posing in an ideal world completely cut off from reality. (The gown is from Pao, Project Minima. It was her Mum's.)

I should have featured stained stretched-out yoga pants and a threadbare sweatshirt, but they would have cost a fortune at a high-end designer store, and after buying these cards who can afford that? Maybe chewing gum hanging out of my mouth, or chips, would have been better. Less pressure. Live and learn, folks. Live and learn. Speaking of chips, I finally updated my About Me page.


The security guard asked me what I was doing in the parking lot above. He was worried I was taking photos of the wall. When he found out I was taking photos of myself, he felt better and we shook hands. If I had my cards then, I would have given him one. Top and flocked pants from Talize, vintage wonder coat from Super Thrift Sister Su!!

Below is the tartan jacket I farked in May 2015 here, my ruffled blouse, and pants that used to belong to Mr. Sanchez. They have a billion buttons on the front.


There was a gap in the barricades to this alley and naturally I took advantage - they weren't done painting yet. But I asked, and the painters recognized me for the debutante I am and graciously agreed to let me take some photos but to mind the wet paint. I did. I'd have given them cards but I forgot them at home.

Even if I don't use these cards, I can smile and smirk knowing I have them, my own mini passport to a world of possibilities. Bwahahaha. Do you have a card? Does it make you feel wonderful? If not, what are you waiting for? Go make another one!! I always used to feel like a dweeb telling people I have a style blog - I'm over it.

And now -

A FREAKISH YELLOW SKIRT UPDATE!

Iris eyed Frida's flower headband
"Hm, I could use a headband like that," she mused.
"Not to mention that SKIRT!! That FREAKISH WONDER."
But before she could grab it, a monkey screeched,
sending a STARTLED vicious seal onto the 
sumo wrestler's shoulder, and he didn't 
even notice because he was BUSY
mooning over...

ANJA

and the travelling yellow skirt freak show come to life

G O!   G O   NOW !!!


What a fantastical journey brought to you by Anja and the Yellow Skirt in Singapore. With a surprise Special Guest whom many of you know. Bwhahaha!!! So. Much. Fun. 

Believe it or not, I've given you a somewhat accurate picture of events in this little blurb. The imagination! The creativity! And you should see what she added to FYS. You can't miss this. Thank you so much, Anja! 
That's all for this week.

I'm linking up to Patti at Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday, and Catherine at Not Dressed as Lamb for #iwillwearwhatilike. See you there maybe?

Edit: I also linked up to Midlife Fun: Pattern Mix, at Tinaspinkfriday. HERE.



18 comments:

  1. oh, oh, I wanna card. You know, before they're all gone with the wind. By popular demand. You know they will be. And you're wearing the zigzag dress too. awww. But the 3D is magnificent. Are you sure there's nothing in the middle? hmmmm. You said it was extra thick paper...

    Just be careful of photo-ing strange walls. Good thing you're not in the States. Who knows what would've happened to you, business cards or no. Your b&w ensemble with flashing red is extraordinary, so probably the security guard couldn't resist.

    Off to see the latest Yellow Skirt adventure. sniff. I do miss her. But glad she's still gallivanting around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better save me one for when we're over in March! You know I've had cards for years (they're so 2010, darling - kidding!); I've given away hundreds of them! They're so handy. I love the design you did on them - your "blue" face is priceless. Awesome Yellow Skirt adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Melanie, Not only have you ( and Suzanne and Sheila ) inspired me, but your "vibe", channeled through me via fiber optics, has transformed the outfits of two of my colleagues at work.... all the way across the coast. So cool how that works! I suspect you will run out of your fabulous cards in no time. And if things go down South here in Gringolandia in November, You might have many immigrant assistants to help you manage all of the press.
    Solidarity from Boston,
    Alba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! That is brilliant! Keep up the pressure on your work mates : )

      Delete
  4. I just LOVED Anja's post and what she added to the skirt.

    I love your blooper. You are being suffocated by vintage ruffles.

    Your backdrops are killer and so are your new cards.

    Off to check out your updated about page, just because I like to click on you in a gold spandex suit.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Melanie!!! You have cards!!! Hm I think I need cards too. Little pink cards :) I can give it to the people, who think I work for the police and make pictures if they drive to fast! No I make pictures of me.... here is my pink card ;)
    Melanie I love your amazing pictures, this outfits and this pattern mix. Its a gteat outfit for midlife fun pattern mix. You can linkup if you want. That would be great.
    http://tinaspinkfriday.blogspot.de/2016/09/midlife-fun-pattern-mix-bloghop.html
    I wish you a wonderfull day, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, you said you card doesn't have a middle... that's a dang shame considering the fact that's a perfect spot for cream filling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anja's Yellow Skirt post was wonderfully surreal, which works so well with the skirt! Yay, 33 members of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Yellow Skirt.

    You know I think your cards are FAB-OO-LA, and thanks for inspiring me to get off my ass and onto my computer and get mine ordered. When they arrive, WE CAN EXCHANGE BLOG CARDS!!! Sooooo exciting

    ReplyDelete
  8. STUNNING!!!! I love the cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a card, but nothing as fancy as yours. And I cannot put so many credits to my name. It is time to update them though (will be my third card design.. how about that? Nothing to write home about, but she does have a card haha),
    You look wonderful as you always do. I love both outfits. And that yellow wall? They made it especially for you.
    Now I am off to bed and then to Paris.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  10. Double sided business cards!! You are the real deal now. You know you will now have to get one of those little card cases to stash in your bag, bright and sparkly of course, an attention grabbing case to reveal those double sided cards!! The yellow skirt is having one hell of a good time now that she is back out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I love the ruffle slap! Actually, I love all these photos, and locations. No wonder you have cards!!! (I thought you might mention them in your updated About Me page, but you probably left them at home.) Your cards are so cool - are they from Moo? Did you get different pictures on each one? I have had cards in the past, and I will do again as soon as I figure out what the hell I'm trying to do with my life.

    Hugs and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As Always - love the traveling skirt! And I also Love the Picture on your card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pattern mix is superb - I especially admire the coat which is pre-patternmixed, how fun! And your cards are wonderfully whimsical and bold just as yourself. Justin keeps telling me about cards, and I keep being humble, modest and shy. But with your encouraging example, I might just change my attitude.

    Thank you for joining the Midlife Fun! We offer different themes at the end of each month. You are welcome to join any time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the joys of the card Melanie! I got a card some time ago, and never have it to hand when I need it. It's a source of irritation to me now, showing how completely disorganised how I am. We're aspiring to something aren't we, but I'm not sure what it is either. I love the latest chapter in the journey of the Yellow Skirt and have learnt a bit about Anja and some history lessons there too. Congrats to you again for spreading the love x
    Anna
    www.annasislandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was still teaching the school district offered to print cards for those teachers who wanted them. I thought it was dumb (parents and students knew how to find me) but many of my colleagues got them. I think they liked seeing the degrees they worked so hard to attain listed behind the name.
    You should have been a designer Melanie. These outfits could have stepped off the pages of Vogue. To me it's mote spectacular that you thrifted these and composed the looks from scratch. The black and white ensemble sets a higher standard of pattern mixing. The little plaid jacket with the smacky, red ruffle, blouse is so darling I can barely stand it! You can't possibly cover all the dimensions of your talents in anything less than a 3 by 5 card!!! Wait! A PAMPHLET!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I was still teaching the school district offered to print cards for those teachers who wanted them. I thought it was dumb (parents and students knew how to find me) but many of my colleagues got them. I think they liked seeing the degrees they worked so hard to attain listed behind the name.
    You should have been a designer Melanie. These outfits could have stepped off the pages of Vogue. To me it's mote spectacular that you thrifted these and composed the looks from scratch. The black and white ensemble sets a higher standard of pattern mixing. The little plaid jacket with the smacky, red ruffle, blouse is so darling I can barely stand it! You can't possibly cover all the dimensions of your talents in anything less than a 3 by 5 card!!! Wait! A PAMPHLET!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hurrah for cards! they look cool and very professional! and you look even more fabulous!, love all those black&white graphic prints working together!, love your tartan jacket and ruffled blouse! lots of enthusiasm and inspiration!
    besos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...