Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Seized by layering


It's like wearing a heavily-padded cotton snowmobile suit so thick you can only walk Frankenstein-style, arms and legs like popsicle sticks, and pray you don't drop anything. I was seized up with layers. All that was missing was the pointy cone parka hood with a tassel on the tip.  It was 2C (about 35F) when I went out. Naturally I had to wear my short shorts which I had foolishly neglected to wear all summer.

These are the layers. PAY ATTENTION. You'll be tested on this later.


Of course I also had on my magic loupe and leather gloves. 
I bought the shorts extra big because I knew I'd be wearing them over pants. I got the Fiorucci capris in Tokyo more than 20 years ago, very high-waisted. The Betsey Johnson coat was almost a bargain, purchased on a whim. I shall try to avoid such weakness in the future because the quality is not very good and I know I can do better thrifting....WHICH I DID! Today. Can't wait to show you my new nicotine-coloured coat, actually, she tastes more of champagne on figure skates. 

Surely I can throw some more metaphors and similes in this post. Help me out!

I'm linking this outfit with Anne's 52 Pick-me-up: Get Layered over at Spy Girl. 
Keep cool, whether it's hot or cold. But I don't have to tell you that, do I?









20 comments:

  1. Simply smashing! I love the capris! Brrrr, it's so damned cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layering perfection. Even though you almost dissed the coat, it looks great. The capris are fab and I love the way you've styled them, natch. XXXXXOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serious commitment to layering. Not sure I see much warmth there, though, other than the faux fur. You have to thrift yourself some wool leggings, methinks. And did you have gloves or mitts? I was swaddled in wool to head out today. Brrrrr. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiorucchic! Heidi could not have done it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiorucci! There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Great stuff. I do love the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's some serious layering skillz!
    What is it with cold weather and the sudden need to raise hemlines? I'm the same, snow in the way = micro mini!
    Love those crazy pants! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great layers, and I love your metaphors. As you are layering up, down under we are shedding layers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best layering du jour! Love those print trousers and ostrich boots. Send me a cool breeze, would ya? xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are of the same mind when it comes to shorts-wearing. I've been wearing my denim shorts over patterned tights since it got cold (of course I never wore them all summer). You are a master-layer-er-er! Whenever someone mentions a snowsuit I picture Ralphie's brother in the film A Christmas Story....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Layering par excellence, Melanie, love the stripey shorts over the wild print of the Fioruccis. I would look like the Michellin Man if I wore that many items, and I'm not sure that's a look I'm going for... It's brrrrrisk here too! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. now that's what I call dressing for winter. But what would I know? It's going to be in the 80's here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seized by how fantastic you look in all your layers!! I love the capris!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ADORE all the layers. I think I need to try layering up a pair of my shorts and see how they work. I had a minimum of four layers on today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. that looks great. I love layers look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The collar and fabulous sleeves of that coat would have seized me too! I was recently reminded that thrifting is so much the way to go by a company who made 3 dresses that I love - the 4th (that I was so excited about, waited and waited for the sale) was a total letdown of crap quality. Loving those capris and looking forward to more nicotine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute shorts!
    I wonder what it will be like with a sailor hat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leave it to you to do such a mix of genres!
    I would never think of mixing how you mix, or maybe yes i could but it's a science that needs a bit of thinking but do you think about it or you just mix as it comes?
    I do that sometimes and i get the best results
    I would go even crazier than you sometimes, but working outside my beloved home prevents me to go further in my madness -
    You are my crazy diva Melanie, i love it!

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
  18. With my conservative mind I could only think: "this is out of my league". Well, you have seen my outfits. Hardly anything outrageous there. The coat though is very very much my taste. If it is not warm enough just wear your ice princess coat and keep this one for in between weather days. Don't forget it on those days as you forgot your cute shots in summer.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  19. You were doing just fine with your ensemble here, but that background really brought it all together for me. I mean, if you're going to mix patterns, I would expect nothing less!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stop! I can't spell or remember Italian designers' names! I am so screwed on this test! (Just practicing for spring.)

    As we say in the Americas, "Oh, no you DI'INT" on the shorts over pants, which is wonderfully high praise from a practically illiterate population :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...